Monday, December 8, 2014

MY SECOND SPROUTED WHEAT BREAD EXPERIMENT: EASY SPROUTED WHEAT TORTILLAS (NO FLOUR)

Best Blog Tips

JAN. 2, 2015: SEE UPDATE IN RECIPE BELOW.

If you read my blog post from 1 week ago about making sprouted wheat bread, you'll know I'm experimenting with making breads from dough made from sprouted hard wheat kernels, with little or no flour.  My first loaf bread came out beautifully, but the dough was so sticky that it took me WAY too long to clean up my food processor and mixer.  I didn't know if I'd try it again (after soaking everything in warm water, it took me about 20 minutes of scrubbing to clean everything, and the sponge had to go into the garbage can!). But after I let the dough rise in an oiled bowl I found that the bowl was easy to clean, and when I cut and rolled the dough and shaped the loaves, I oiled my hands and had no problem with sticking.  So, contrary to what I was thinking while washing those sticky appliance parts that morning, I decided to try the sprout dough once again, but oiling everything the dough touches!  See my final sprouted wheat bread recipe with minimal flour-- delicious!)

I did just that with this tortilla dough, and it worked like a charm! I will definitely be making these tortillas again and trying the loaf bread again.  Here's the tortilla recipe (you'll save lots of money making your own rather than buying them, and they taste so nutty and fresh):



Printable Recipe

BRYANNA'S SPROUTED WHEAT TORTILLAS
Makes 6 tortillas (each about 6 1/2 inches across)


I soaked the wheat kernels in warm water from Friday night until Monday morning, changing the water a couple of times.  If your house is warmer than mine, it may take less time. The sprout should be tiny-- just a baby sprout.  It doesn't even matter if not all the kernels sprout when they soak that long.

1 cup hard wheat kernels (PS: I might try soft wheat kernels next time just to see how it works.)
UPDATE, JAN. 2, 2014:  I DID TRY IT WITH SOFT WHITE WHEAT KERNELS AND THE TORTILLAS WERE LIGHTER IN COLOR AND A LITTLE MORE FLEXIBLE.)
1 tablespoon oil
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt

Soak the wheat kernels in warm water in a warm spot until they just barely sprout (see text above in intro to recipe).  Drain them in a colander for about an hour before grinding.

Lightly oil all parts of the food processor which the dough will touch, including the inside of the removable blade and the underside of the lid. Add the well-drained sprouts to your food processor and add the remaining ingredients.  Grind at high speed until a dough forms (you will still see pieces of the kernels covering in the dough)





Remove the dough a form into a ball, placing it on a piece of baking parchment or a baking mat sprayed with a bit of oil.


Divide the dough into 6 equal pieces (I weighed them and they weighed 2 to 2 1/8 oz.), rolling each into a ball with oiled hands.  

Heat an 8-10-inch cast iron skillet over high heat.  While it heats, carefully roll out one tortilla with an oiled rolling pin to about 6 1/2-inches across.  When the pan is hot, carefully loosen the edges of the tortilla with a bench knife, slide your hand under the parchment and use it to carry the tortilla to the pan,  Turn it upside down, carefully easing the tortilla into the pan in one piece.  (It may take a bit of practice if you are new at this!)  Turn the heat down to medium-high.  Cover and cook until the dough is golden brown with a few darker spots on the bottom,  Loosen with a spatula and turn over.  Cook until the other side is done.  Transfer to an open paper bag placed on a rack.


While the 1st tortilla cooks, you can roll out the next one.  The timing worked well for me.  Eat immediately, or cool in the paper bag and then transfer to a zipper-lock bag.  If you can't eat them all by the next day, freeze the leftovers.

Enjoy!



No comments: